Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ive just bought a 2004 shogun 3.2 did, it wont idle when

Customer Question

Hi, ive just bought a 2004 shogun 3.2 did, it wont idle when warm and smokes alot at low revs, it drives fine and has plenty power. have you got any ideas? Thanks David
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello David,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello 1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried the fuel filter and put a fuel cleaner through th system, I've fitted a new egr even though the old one was fine and I've tried blanking it too. I've fitted 2 new speed sensors on the fuel pump. I've advanced the timing slightly which has helped with the smoking somewhat but it's still bad starting and won't idle below 1100rpm when warm. I suspect the fuel pump is on its way out but would like to try anything I can before spending 2k on a new pump. Thanks again David
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Davidtry this procedure: Start engine, check any fuel leakage and if the engine idling speed is not stable due to reset of the learning value, perform the following processes. a. Warm up engine until the coolant temperature becomes more than 85 degrees Celsius. b. Turn the IG key in the “Lock (OFF)” position. c. Wait 10 seconds then start engine again and keep idling for 10 minutes in the conditions of A/T shift in the P-position, the blower fan is off and the engine coolant temperature is more than 83 degrees Celsius. d. Once stop engine and restart it and keep idling for 10 minutes in the conditions of A/T shift in the P-position, the blower fan is on in the high position, A/C is on at max cool position, all the windows are open and the engine coolant temperature is more than 83 degrees Celsius. e. Repeat the process “d” again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that but that didn't work either, I bit the bullet today and bought a recon fuel pump and fitted it this afternoon, its now running like a dream. Took it out for a run and no cruise control, no brake lights and no lights at all for the 4wd. Any suggestions or fuse locations will be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OK glad to hear a new pump has helpedto have no cruise control though then its likely that there's an issue with a speed sensor? it may be best to get the car plugged into a scan tool as this will point to the fault