Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2di-d 2004 had timing chain replaced and

Customer Question

Hi, Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2di-d 2004 had timing chain replaced and some related gears due to timing chain failure. Running okay before, but now blowing out grey white smoke. Checked: Valve timing, pistons okay, cylinder head pressure tested, valve seats recut, no visible damage to pistons. Everything reassembled but blowing greyish white smoke? possibly unburnt fuel..... Fuel pump checked over and bench tested okay. Injectors tested. Vehicle is now not starting. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? David Godley
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

If you haven't already then I'd suggest to do a compression test across all cylinders to confirm the pressure is up where it should be and that all cylinders are within 10-15 psi of each other

if this is OK then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor

If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

nd do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Matt, sorry to take so long to respond to you. The vehicle had previously been plugged into a diagnostic fault code reader and there were no fault codes recorded; which ruled out most of your suggestions. Since your suggestions were not valid, we again contacted the Mitsubishi Technical help line who suggested the fuel pump timing was more than likely to be at fault. The fuel pump was removed and reset in accordance with the advice from the Mitsubishi Technical dept and the vehicle is now up and running well. Unfortunately on this occasion your advice was not suitable and we will notify Just Answer with a copy of this response. Kind regards, ***** *****