Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Oil leak somewhere near sump or back of engine where gearbox

Customer Question

oil leak somewhere near sump or back of engine where gearbox meets
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

How many miles on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
112000
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

does it seem to leak more after driving it and then parking it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

oil leaks can be tricky because the oil blows around while driving, but generally an oil leak that worsens when driving (noticed immeadiately after parking) and coming between the gearbox and the engine is a rear main leak. The seal is not expensive at only about $25, but the labo is high because the gearbox has to be removed in order to replace.

You probably want to start by cleaning the engine up real good and then watching for the leak early o when you first see signs of the oil to pinpoint it better and go from there.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check back and see how you made out. If you need further assistance let me know please, if not just be sure to leave a kind rating so the site credits me for my time is all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached to rear of sump is a metal plate with a large rubber like seal it appears to be leaking from there
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

are you referring to the metal plate between the gearbox and the sump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No attached to the bottom of the sump is a stainless steel plate held on with 3size 10 bolts and a rubber like seal between sump and plate
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

sounds like an inspection plate, would need a picture to be sure but if thats teh only place it's coming form then that gasket is likely the culprit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jake I discovered what plate is its a cover for 2nd oil drain plug
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

If that's the case it probably just needs a new copper washer. If its a washer less magnet plug and not a drain plug then gasket sealer on the threads should fix it up.