Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun 3.5 DTI Evolution (the rally

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun 3.5 DTI Evolution (the rally version) I have only had it a couple of months. When I got it the dash lights were cycling bright and dim in time to slight variations in engine revs. At night the headlights were also cycling bright and dim in time. The voltage across the battery at idle measured 14.8 volts dipping to 14.5 volts in time to the dash lights etc. The battery light did not come on at all neither when turning ignition on or when running.
I managed to source a new alternator from a specialist supplier. I have put it on the vehicle. I get 12.6 volts across the battery whether the engine is running or not. The alternator has a four pin connector. I get 12.6V on both the centre pins. I have checked the battery bulb and it is good. The battery light comes on when the engine is cranking but is off before the engine is cranking and fter it starts.
Any ideas how I can check the new alternator is OK or whether the vehicle wiring has a problem?
I dont want to do any damage to either!!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please continue to investigate thankyou Alan
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

as this is a modern 'smart' alternator the current control is run by the ECU but the testing of it all is a bit more involved

see here for a detailed description

https://www.picoauto.com/support/topic8174.html

I suspect that something is wrong either with the ECU controlling the current, or the earth connection between the ECU and engine or its the wrong spec of alternator

if you find where the small earth wires are fixed to the engine and then run back into the main wiring loom as these are the ECU specific earth paths and used to control supplementary function like this

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you