Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse spider gt I have been

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse spider gt
I have been driving quite a distance in the pouring rain
Ten minutes before stopping the car I noticed two red lights appear on the dash. One says brake the other shows a pictures of the battery with positive and negative nodes.
After parking the car I turned the ignition off to give the car a rest. When I tried to turn it back on the ignition didn't respond. The lights worked but the power windows did not. I had a similar problem last week after heavy rain but it resolved itself when the rain stopped and the sun reappeared and was able to dry out.
The car has a brand new starter and relatively new distributer plus the battery seems to be in good working order.
What do you think the problem might be?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hey there, thanks for the question. The battery and brake lights are simply telling you that there is a charging issue. Meaning the alternator is not working properly.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
If this ONLY happens when driving in the rain and runs normally after sitting in a dry environment then you need to look for any water intrusion issues. There are body harnesses that run in the fender lips if your missing one of the splash guards that would get real wet for starters, but your really going to have to take a look around especially if any of the splash shields are gone.