Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

I have a mitsubishi shogun 3.2 swb,di-d 2007,,, my timing

Customer Question

Hi,I have a mitsubishi shogun 3.2 swb,di-d 2007,,, my timing chain guard has snapped and my chain is loose maybe tensioner had gone to, what is the best fix for that new engine or??
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 11 months ago.

Hi and good morning .

If the timing chain snapped then this is not good news , as this is an interference engine .

Meaning that when the chain brakes the chance of the pistons hitting the valves is 90% .

This means possible rocker arm breakage , bent valves ,Cylinder head overhaul needed .

The engine block and pistons can take the shock and no damage will be seen except for possible little indents on the piston tops.

After having the cylinder head repaired you will need a complete timing chain kit which will normally have the tensioner in it.

Do a lot of these repair and there is no need to replace the engine with a new one if there is no piston movement .

When head removed align all pistons in the middle of its stroke ,all pistons will line up ,now with your fingers try and rock the top of the pistons back and forth if you can move the pistons then a new engine would be better.

Or have the piston liners replaced and new piston rings .

Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.