Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Came back from holiday and couldn't get into my 1997 Shogun

Customer Question

Came back from holiday and couldn't get into my 1997 Shogun Pajero. Woman's logic, I thought either fob battery dead or car. Battery. Tried changing fob battery first (figured it was easier and didn't want immobiliser going off if fob wasn't working to stop it) it didn't work, so then charged car battery. That worked, but now when I reconnect battery the alarm won't stop - although the engine will turn over!!! Any ideas as I'm miles from a Mitsubishi dealer and don't want to drive with the alarm going off as the noise is horrendous?
Thanks Jackie
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Hey there sorry for the delay.Will the FOB no disable the alarm? If not you need to do this.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Get in the vehicle and insert the key into the ignition
Locate the small red LED on the left side of the dash
Press and hold the red LED (it will push in about 1/16th of an inch), then while holding the LED turn the ignition key to the start position
The starter should now engage and the alarm will disarm.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried this twice and it didn't work!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any other idea's?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The alarm is now going off all the time, so I have had to disconnect the battery!
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

That is the only way to do it, other than using the FOB which should also work.

If neither work you have an alarm issue and you can try turning the key to ON position before connecting the battery. This will correct the issue sometimes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** no longer seems to work at all. I will give the above a try!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could it have anything to do with me changing the battery in the fob, before I discovered it was the engine battery that was the issue as it was flat and I charged that?
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

no, changing the battery in the FOB wouldn't cause the issue. Assuming the FOB still works for the locks it's still programmed to the ETACS.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fob doesn't work either now - had to get someone round from the local car alarm fitters to disable the alarm.