Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Came back from holiday and couldn't get into my 1997 Shogun

Customer Question

Came back from holiday and couldn't get into my 1997 Shogun Pajero. Woman's logic, I thought either fob battery dead or car. Battery. Tried changing fob battery first (figured it was easier and didn't want immobiliser going off if fob wasn't working to stop it) it didn't work, so then charged car battery. That worked, but now when I reconnect battery the alarm won't stop - although the engine will turn over!!! Any ideas as I'm miles from a Mitsubishi dealer and don't want to drive with the alarm going off as the noise is horrendous?
Thanks Jackie
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hey there sorry for the delay.Will the FOB no disable the alarm? If not you need to do this.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Get in the vehicle and insert the key into the ignition
Locate the small red LED on the left side of the dash
Press and hold the red LED (it will push in about 1/16th of an inch), then while holding the LED turn the ignition key to the start position
The starter should now engage and the alarm will disarm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried this twice and it didn't work!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other idea's?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alarm is now going off all the time, so I have had to disconnect the battery!
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

That is the only way to do it, other than using the FOB which should also work.

If neither work you have an alarm issue and you can try turning the key to ON position before connecting the battery. This will correct the issue sometimes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** no longer seems to work at all. I will give the above a try!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it have anything to do with me changing the battery in the fob, before I discovered it was the engine battery that was the issue as it was flat and I charged that?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

no, changing the battery in the FOB wouldn't cause the issue. Assuming the FOB still works for the locks it's still programmed to the ETACS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fob doesn't work either now - had to get someone round from the local car alarm fitters to disable the alarm.