Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My pajero 3.2 di-d is pumping out smoke and loses power

Customer Question

my pajero 3.2 di-d is pumping out white smoke and loses power
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: what do you want to know
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi Matt....what is causing the white smoke?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

sorry if I didn't make that clear, the white smoke will be unburnt fuel

so its likely that there's a lack of air or boost pressure leaking

hence my suggestions of above

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had the pajero in a diesel diagnostic specialist and he could not find an actual fault only say it could be the fuel pump.........would his tests shown a faulty valve or pipe on the egr?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

I woudl have hoped he has already checked what I suggested

it could be the pump

if the timing of the injection is off then this too will produce a lot of white smoke

has he offered any particular fault or its just a faulty pump?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they couldnt offer an particular fault only it was pointing to the pump.......so he didnt charge for the diagnstic
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

OK

in that case I'd check for the air leaks / boost leaks as I've 1st suggested and get back to me

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok i will thanks..........
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have not had a chance to look at it yet so still might need you
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

understood