Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Mitsubishi Galant 2000 Saloon 1997cc Petrol. The

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi Galant 2000 Saloon 1997cc Petrol.
The Off side rear Brake Caliper Carrier has a bolt with the screw head broken off. The rubber boot on the bolt perished and water gor into the cylinder and I cannot get the shaft out. It is not held in with any screw. I have a photograph of this part.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi..there..

Are you refering to the slide pin thats snapped inside the calliper mounting bracket?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
SLIDE PIN IS BROKEN OFF JUST BELOW THE THREADS, SO THE SIEZED PIN IS NOT HELD INSIDE THE CYLINDER BY THREADS., BUT IT IS HELD IN SOLID
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Yeah..i know what the slide pin looks like...no doubt whats happened is lack of lubrication,cleaning up during brake pad changes on the slide section of the pin itself has caused that over time too...so in event its bascially rusted solid in there,you'll have hard job getting that out. nine times out ten..if your lucky its snapped off leaving something to get a grip of it..using vice grips/bench vice,heat ..or weld a nut on to the stub thats poking out is only thing that will get them out..failing that you could try drilling out, But the end result in most cases is a new or secondhand carrier..not other way round it im afraid..that mounting bracket on the rear if i remember can be unbolted from the hub,so you just need that bracket to replace aswell a new slide pin kit, Other than that you can try drilling the pin out..its a long process and you need to be sure you get the remains of the entire pin out so you can fit the new one in and enable it to slide freely as before in that hole..if that fails then you'll have to get another mounting bracket..ive come across that manytimes on other cars that use that same system of sliders on the brakes and you always end up having to replace mounting part,whole hub in some cases the pins stuck in.if you cant grip anything to get the pin out....