Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin. 1.8l GDI petrol

Customer Question

i have a 1998 Mitsubishi Pajero Pinin. 1.8l GDI petrol automatic. it was just purchsed by my mother and she later found out that the headgasket was blown. i set out to repair it. i stripped it down to the head. recored the blown radiator, skimmed and cleaned the head, replaced the gasket and headbolts, while i was at it i did the timing and replaced the water pump. i put it all back together went put the battery on with a jumper pack in cse the battery was dead and turned the key and there was no sign of life whatsoever. no lights on the dash no turning no clicks nothing.
i have sinced check the continuity in all of the grounds and they were fine, checked all of the connections, they seem to be fine too, i checked all the relevant fuses they were fine too. the battery is charged. the jumped the starter to see if the wire there had any problems but is span up the engine like a champ so nothing wrong there.
i did also check to see if there were 12 volts at the ignition switch and found nothing in any wire when i turned the key, also i checked for continuity in the ground wire going into the switch and it was not continuous here. is this where the problem is??
i hadnt touhed the igition switch until this new problem arose and it was prevelant before the headgasket replacement.
does anyone know what is causing this i cant figure it out, i have checked and cleaned all electrical connections in the engine bay several times and still nothing.
i appreciate any advice i can get
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Hey there, if no power is going into the ignition switch, then a fusible link may be bad. There is generally a 30a or 40a fusible link that feeds the ignition switch. Once you have power going into the switch, then you can check for power leaving the switch in start position.One of two things is wrong here. Either the fusible link to the ignition is blown or the ignition switch is bad.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anyway I can test for these things?
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Yes, absolutely.

You should take a meter or test light and look for power going into the ignition switch at all times!! This power comes from the fusible to the ignition switch.

Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

once you know power is entering the ignition switch, it should exiting another wire(s) at acc/on/start positions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't seem to find any fusible links on the car. And I've checked all fuses again and they seem to be ok. I was testing the ignition switch again and all the wires in the switch had continuity to ground, is this normal. Could you possibly inform me better on how to go about this I'm a beginner and don't know what to do anymore. I'm not sure where and what things to test
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

are you saying to wires at the ignition switch had power with key to OFF position?

Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

because you should have a white wire that has constant power.

you should have a black/yellow or blue/black wire that gets power with key to START

You also have ACC/ON power wires, but none of that is relevant if you don;t have constant power to the switch.

Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

the fusible links are in the engine bay fuse box.