Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I drive a 2004 shogun 3.2 automatic. Today she has started

Customer Question

I drive a 2004 shogun 3.2 automatic. Today she has started revving out + doesn't change gear into 2nd. If the revs are high enough she goes into 3rd. Any ideas what is causing this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This is usually caused by a fault with a shift solenoid in the transmission/gearbox not engaging like it should or an issue with the valve body in the transmission/gearbox acting up needing replaced.If you have had any warning lights come on at all with this issue the first thing that has to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool or computer that will plug into your vehicle and can read all codes.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.

If no codes are set at all ( even if no lights came on I would have the codes checked) then the transmission/gearbox will have to be tested further to locate if this is an electrical solenoid needing replaced or an issue with the valve body itself.This usually requires some special test equipment and a transmission fluid pressure test gauge to do this.The repair costs will vary depending on what is at fault and can run anywhere from $150 to over $1000 in some cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Pete. Do I need an autospark or do I have to take it to Mitsubishi themselves?

Your welcome

Mitsubishi themselves is usually the best option for this here as they will have the best experience in locating and repairing this fault.You can try an auto spark if you want as long as they have experience working on this model and transmissions/gear box repairs.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No warning lights came on. She was fine this morning then suddenly started revving out or jumping into 3rd.

It is also possible this is due to a worn band or clutch internal in the gear box needing replaced.This issue you see here can come on suddenly unfortunately.

The gearbox will need to be checked/tested further to pinpoint and repair this issue.

Thanks Pete