Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 1.3 spacestar. I want to change the gear knob And

Hi I have a 1.3 spacestar. I want to change the gear knob And gaiter/ boot but don't know how to remove the existing one. Please could you help me with this? Also, I am having difficulty in finding a replacement. Any ideas?Cheers
Bernard
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 29 days ago.
Hey there, sorry for the delay.The factor shift knobs should just turn counter clockwise to unscrew on the manual gearboxes. The boot is a bit more difficult because you have to remove the center console lid to get behind it and disassemble.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I've tried that but the whole thing just turns and turns. This is the lift for reverse type.
Expert:  Jake replied 29 days ago.
Have you tried to pull straight down on the collar at the bottom. There may be a c-clamp underneath it.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Sorry, do you mean the collar beneath the gear knob which is used to engage reverse?
Expert:  Jake replied 29 days ago.
Can you take a picture for me?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Bit late now; I'll try tomorrow if that's ok.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Here are two pics.
Expert:  Jake replied 28 days ago.
Bernard what year is your spacestar?I have 2 different removals depending on the year. One says to twist off (threaded) this other is press fitted and glued.
Expert:  Jake replied 28 days ago.
on the exploded parts diagram there was no clip at all, so it must be one of the two methods.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The year is 2004 and it's a spacestar classic 1.3 hope this helps.
Expert:  Jake replied 28 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** that one is spinning it should pull straight up. The parts diagram shows nothing holding it in.

We see al kinds of shift knobs, 99% of them either screw on or have a small c-clamp under the collar beneath the know. The lift for reverse though shouldn't have a pull down collar as it lifts up.

If i was there i would lift up on the collar and look for a clip then pull down on it to verify no clip, once that checks out i would simply turn counter clockwise. if there was lots of resistance but it was not coming lose then I would pull straight up.