Chris
Chris, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

What is the most likely fault, no spark at plugs on a Kawasaki

Customer Question

What is the most likely fault, no spark at plugs on a Kawasaki ZXR 400 L
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Chris :

Hello how are you

Chris :

Most often, when a no spark situation arises, the cause is faulty pulse pick up coils, the coils are located next to the flywheel, they send a signal to the cdi and tell it when to send a spark to the plugs

Chris :

If you have questions along the way, post them here and we can continue to work towards a solution. Please remember to rate your experience,my goal is excellent service. Bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck

JACUSTOMER-pqr62irq- :

I took this machine for MOT testing, it started up both ways. When I next went to start, it no joy.

JACUSTOMER-pqr62irq- :

I have changed the cdi from another working machine still no spark, can you please tell me how to test the pulse pick up coils.

Chris :

Coming out of the engine case, you will find a connector with 2 wires, they lead to the pick up coil. Check the resistance between these wires, you should get between 1-3 ohms and no continuity to ground

JACUSTOMER-pqr62irq- :

I have checked, still no spark.

JACUSTOMER-pqr62irq- :

There is no live feed to the coils.

Chris :

Checked the pick up coil resistance? What reading did you get?

Chris :

Are you still with me?

JACUSTOMER-pqr62irq- :

There are two coils and no live feed to either

Chris :

What readings did you get from the testing the pulser coil?

JACUSTOMER-pqr62irq- :

I will be with you again on Monday

Chris :

No problem, if you get zero reading to the coil, that only leaves the pick up coil and cdi as possible causes