Doug E
Doug E, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic with 30 years experience and specializing in vintage motorcycles.
7400257

Hi I have a 49cc evo x2 2 stroke stand sit scooter. Its Chinese

Customer Question

Hi I have a 49cc evo x2 2 stroke stand sit scooter.
It's Chinese and can just about start when choke is on or a bit on, it seems like it just needs a bigger jet in the carb. The manual says adjust. The carbs 2 mixing settings.
Either I'm thick or stupid but I simply can't get it going, changed the carb etc.
It has two gears and at first it revved and the rear wheel went round now it starts only on choke but won't drive the wheel it's chain drive and nothing blocking the carb.
Could it be a bad mix of 2 stroke or a clutch problem it's an auto clutch I'm simply in experienced with ! Help
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E replied 2 years ago.

Doug E :

Doug E :

Does your carb have two mixture screws? I'm showing the X2 with the Tanaka engine only has an idle screw and not mixture screws. The UK version may be different, so let me know.

JACUSTOMER-fdvt6vwt- : Hi
JACUSTOMER-fdvt6vwt- : its an import it has two screws too just
JACUSTOMER-fdvt6vwt- : It's an import with 2 screws and a clear petrol sucker if u no wot I mean
JACUSTOMER-fdvt6vwt- : It is an import from china and has 2 ajustable fuel and air mix screws with a see thorough carb pump as shown on ebay uk
Doug E :

OK, give me a bit to locate the UK manual.

Doug E :

Being it only runs on choke, that indicates a lean condition. A lean condition is caused by not enough fuel or too much air. For the fuel items, check that your fuel filter is good and the fuel tank is clean with fresh fuel and good oil. If you put on a new carb, you should be ok. Many of those used plastic carbs and they tended to warp when they got old. There was nothing to do with them but put on a new one.

Doug E :

Even a new carb will have to be adjusted. The US version cannot be adjusted and I don't have the UK manual. One the adjustable models there will be a low speed jet and a high speed jet. Start the motor and warm it up. Turn the low speed jet counter-clockwise until it idles smoothly. Raise the rear so the wheel can spin safely and rev it up. Adjust the high speed jet so you get the most speed, then turn it counter-clockwise 1/8 of a turn.

Doug E :

Does it run properly now?

Doug E :

If not, you could have an air leak. This would be at the carb manifold where it bolts to the engine. The manifold is a bakelite material that will warp when old, or the gasket can fail. The other problem would be if one of the crankshaft seals failed. If you see oil behind the clutch or if you remove the recoil and see oil behind the flywheel, that seal has failed and must be replaced.

Doug E :

A 2-stroke motor must be air-tight to work properly, so any air leak will cause a condition where it won't run or where it can cause an engine failure from a lean condition.

Doug E :

Check those items and let me know if you are able to locate the problem.

JACUSTOMER-fdvt6vwt- : Hi Mate
Doug E :

JACUSTOMER-fdvt6vwt- : you may think I'm dumb I fully serviced a new Honda Fuel injection before, but not a clue about two strokes and carbs
Doug E :

Not a problem. Not everyone can know everything. That's why I'm here. Just check the things I mentioned and see if you can find the problem.

JACUSTOMER-fdvt6vwt- : Are these Chinese as shit as people say ?
Doug E :

The rubber and plastic parts are bad but I've had good luck with the motors. Your motor was used as a brushcutter motor for many years before they put it on a scooter, so it does have a long history of being used. If you can't find a scooter repair shop, a chainsaw/brushcutter mechanic would be able to work on it.