Doug E
Doug E, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic with 30 years experience and specializing in vintage motorcycles.
7400257

how much could you estimate a broken clutch on a honda c90

how much could you estimate a broken clutch on a honda c90 to cost to repair? it drives fine in 1st gear, but 2nd and 3rd gears are broken with it just revving up quickly after applying the throttle.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E replied 3 years ago.

Doug E :

Doug E :

Does it actually shift into 2nd and 3rd or does it go into neutral or more of a false neutral?

Doug E :

If you put it on the centerstand and shift into the higher gears, will it drive the rear wheel at all?

Doug E :

Thanks for any additional information you can provide to me.

Customer:

It shifts into 2nd and 3rd and drives the rear wheel but as soon as you accelerate the revs increase sounding like its screeching. I.e. it sounds like it revs up twice as fast in 2nd gear than 1st.

Doug E :

Yes, that does sound like the clutch is worn out. Let me get you some prices to replace that.

Doug E :

I do not know how many miles are on the unit, so you might want to try adjusting it first. That may solve the problem and save you some money.

Doug E :

The adjuster is on the right hand engine cover. Loosen the 10mm locknut then turn the screw in clockwise about a turn then turn it counter-clockwise until you feel pressure on the screw. Turn it clockwise about one eighth of a turn and tighten the nut.
You might have to do it a few times because it one of those things you have to feel and not an exact measurement.

Doug E :

Your clutch is very complicated but the highest wear item are the fiber clutch plates. You can get those for about 15 Pounds from this company: http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4242

Doug E :

You also need the outer gasket and the internal clutch gasket. This is a good company to deal with for those parts: http://www.cmsnl.com/

Doug E :

Those will run you about 15 Pounds. If you need the metal clutch plates, those will be about 30 Pounds.

Doug E :

Those are usually all the parts you need unless something has actually broken. None of the parts are very expensive, but there are a lot of little spring and pins and such.

Doug E :

Some of the Chinese companies that copy the Honda C90 are starting to sell complete clutches. I can't find any in the UK, but you might want to contact this seller in the US: http://www.blujay.com/item/Honda-C50-CT70-C70-Z50-Complete-Auto-Clutch-Assembly-2030500-3478500

Doug E :

That's a very cheap price for a complete clutch if he has one for your machine. It's also complete so there would be much less labor involved.

Doug E :

If you are taking the bike to a mechanic to have the clutch repaired or replaced you will need to add the labor charge to the parts. It takes me about 2 hours to complete that job, which is a little longer then flat rate. I spend a little extra time cleaning the motor on that side because there is an oil screen below the clutch and the clutch itself works like an oil filter and traps all the particles. It's a filthy job so I add extra time for it. Labor rates will depend on where you take it. A factory Honda dealer in a major metro area will charge much more then an independent dealer in a rural area.

Doug E :

In a rural area expect to pay $50-$75 per hour and $75-$125 in a metro area. So the complete job can run $175 to $350 depending on where you go and exactly what parts are replaced. That bike has been out forever so there should be a good number of independent shops that have serviced them on a regular basis. I have one of the original ones from the 50's and not much has changed.

Doug E :

Try the clutch adjustment first because if it hasn't been adjusted that may solve the problem. Let me know if you have any additional questions. If you are doing the work yourself then I can provide much more detail on the repair process.