Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

I have a BMw K1200R motorbike which wont start after the winter

Customer Question

I have a BMw K1200R motorbike which wont start after the winter layup. I kept the battery on a trickle charge all winter and put it on today fully charged, but the bike wont start.
Lights and horn working fine but engine wont turn over.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  350matt replied 3 years ago.

If theengine's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the bike needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry,

this answer is not specific to my motorbike and is of little help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I require a SPECIFIC answer from a bmw MOTORCYCLE MECHANIC! not a general answer from a car mechanic. I will not agree to payingbfor the answer received. If no suitable MOTORBIKE MECHANIC is available, I will require a full refund of my fee.
Expert:  350matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Steve

In that case I'll opt out

good luck
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I have changed the category of your question and placed it under the Motorcycle category. I have also sent a couple of Motorcycle Professionals messages, to see if they can assist you.

However, if you would like your question closed and your charges reversed, please let me know and I will do that for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the case and issue a refund. My local mechanic is picking the bike up for a check

Steve