Doug E
Doug E, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic with 30 years experience and specializing in vintage motorcycles.
7400257

2000 zx7r when the fuel tap is in the off position the bike

Customer Question

2000 zx7r when the fuel tap is in the off position the bike runs, when tap turned to on position bike floods and stalls every time ,ive checked the tap and seems to be working fine
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Doug E replied 3 years ago.

When you shut the fuel off, does it run until it runs out of gas? It doesn't keep running, right?

By shutting off the fuel, you are lowering the level in the carbs. This is an idication that one or more of your carbs has a stuck float valve which keeps pouring gas into the motor as long as the petcock is on. Do you know how many cylinders are flooding? Have you checked the spark plugs? That should tell you which ones are causing the problems.

Doug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got it sorted now thanks you are spot on though

Expert:  Doug E replied 3 years ago.

Great, glad to hear it's working.

Doug