Doug E
Doug E, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic with 30 years experience and specializing in vintage motorcycles.
7400257

I have a Honda CBR250RR MC22 1995 which is refusing to start.

Customer Question

I have a Honda CBR250RR MC22 1995 which is refusing to start. No spark on any plugs. The bike has been lying up for bout 18 months but I have started it regularily, as recently as last Monday. Friday, it just decided not to start.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E replied 3 years ago.

If you have no spark on all 4 cylinders then the problem is going to be in the pick-up coil, the ignition unit or in the wiring. The odds of both of your ignition coils failing at the same time is near zero.

Unplug the Yellow/White Yellow wires coming from the engine to the ignition box. Connect a peak voltage meter set to AC volts and crank the engine. You should have a reading above 1 volt. If you do not have a peak meter, it will show about .5 volts in a very short pulse on a regular digital meter. It may not show anything on a cheap meter.

Shut off the key and switch your meter to ohms. Take a reading from those two wires. It should show 340-420 ohms.

Check that and let me know what you find.

Doug