Doug E
Doug E, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Professional motorcycle mechanic with 30 years experience and specializing in vintage motorcycles.
7400257

Hi, I am an owner of a Yamaha virago xv535. I am a beginner

Customer Question

I am an owner of a Yamaha virago xv535. I am a beginner to motorbikes which has led me to this fault. There was a oil leak coming out of the cam chain tensioner gasket, so I unawarely took out the CCT to inspect and put it back in. When turning the engine back on I noticed it cut out every time. Only when I pulled on the throttle to high revs did it work. I thought this problem was due to lack of oil, so I rode to the supermarket (using high revs) to get oil and fill up the engine. However it still cut out. So I thought this was due to the oil not being moved around in the engine. So I rode 50 miles from Llanelli to cardiff (home) hoping that when I slowed down it would keep running, however it still cut out. I came home and researched and realised I might've affected the chain tension. I read about how this could destroy my valves and pistons - though I probably deserve this, I was wondering if you could shed some light and advice if anything can be done.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Doug E replied 2 years ago.

It's possible the cam timing jumped time. It's always best to put the cylinder on top dead center before removing the tensioner.

You will need to verify the timing is correct and change it if it isn't. There are two places covered with caps on the side of the engine. One is so you can put a wrench on the crankshaft and the other shows the T (Top) mark on the flywheel. Remove those caps and the covers over the cam sprockets so you can see all of the marks.

You will be rotating the motor to top dead center and checking the alignment of the cams. You didn't mention which cylinder you removed the tensioner from so I have uploaded the manual section that shows both cylinders.

If the timing is off, you will need to remove the tensioner, remove the sprocket bolt and align it with the mark at the top of the clyinder head.

If the motor still cuts out then valve damage may have been done. A leakdown test will need to be done to see which valve is damaged and that one would have to be replaced.

Let me know if you have any questions. Here is the file you need:

http://www.moto-forge.com/answer/VIRAGO.pdf

Doug

Doug E, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: Professional motorcycle mechanic with 30 years experience and specializing in vintage motorcycles.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Can this be done whilst the engine is mounted on the bike? Also how to do remove the caps? Is it rotating the the caps or trying to plug it out using a flat screw driver?
Thanks in advance
Expert:  Doug E replied 2 years ago.
The side caps over the flywheel just unscrew. If you don't have a large enough flat blade screwdriver you can often use a coin with an adjustable wrench on it.

The side valve covers should come off with the motor in the frame but the top cover will not. You need to pull the motor for most work on that bike but you can adjust the valves and do some other mainanence.

If you need the full service manual, let me know.

Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Doug,

I basically repositioned the piston at TDC but didnt know if the punch mark on the sprocket aligned with the mark on the cylinder head. I thought I'd see if would run and take the sprocket bolt off if it didn't start (as I found it difficult to take off the bolt using just one wrench as it kept turning the crankshaft!), however it started running fine which led me to ride back to llanelli yesterday night.

HOWEVER, my bike started cutting off at idle speed again and started rattling and making a 'unscrewing screw' squeaky noise after 20 miles, it then eventually broke down to the point where the rattling was very loud. It felt like the engine was running on one cylinder.

I am back in llanelli now with my Haynes manuals on my virago and maintenance where things seem to make a lot more sense and I've noticed I made a few mistakes. My main concern now is that I've damaged my valves, cam chain or tensioner. Would you have any idea which one would it be? There's no black smoke coming out of the engine but I do have a baffle and collector box. The engine won't run properly and there's a loud rattling noise.

Thank you so much for your help. I would appreciate it if you could also send the manual.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Doug,

I am back in llanelli now with my Haynes manuals on my virago and maintenance where things seem to make a lot more sense and I've noticed I made a few mistakes. My main concern now is that I've damaged my valves, cam chain or tensioner. Would you have any idea which one would it be? There's no black smoke co
ming out of the engine but I do have a baffle and collector box. The engine won't run properly and there's a loud rattling noise.

Expert:  Doug E replied 2 years ago.
I will get the factory manual uploaded today for you at lunch time. It's large and I have to take my computer to a faster connection then what I have in the shop.

The valves may have been damaged. I would not run it again until the problem is repaired because you can do very serious damage to the piston or crankshaft. A bent valve or damaged tensioner is a minor repair compaired to damaging the connecting rod or piston.

Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks very much for your advice

Sho
Expert:  Doug E replied 2 years ago.
I've been having problems connecting to the site. Sorry for the delay in getting you information.

When the manual is uploaded it will be:

http://www.moto-forge.com/answer/VIRAGO535.pdf

If it's not working, try again later because it takes a bit to get it loaded from my connection.

You will need to start at the beginning and remove the inspection covers. Verify the front and rear cylinders are in time. To check the chain tensioner, put a wrench on the end of the crankshaft and turn the motor in one direction and then the other. There shouldn't be any play in either cam chain. If there is, then there is a problem with that tensioner or chain.

Let me know what you find.

Doug