Jeremy R
Jeremy R, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience. Factory trained and certified
8380480

I have a mystery electrical problem with my bike. When I press

Customer Question

I have a mystery electrical problem with my bike. When I press the starter button, the starter solenoid oscillates rapidly, making a 'machine gun' sound. If I disengage the starter motor, earth it and try again, it does the same.
If I disconnect the starter lead and press the starter, it clicks on and off as per the test described in the Haynes manual.
I've changed the solenoid and the starter motor to no avail. All the relevant wiring looks ok.
It's a 2002 Yamaha XJ600 Diversion type 4BR 060. Any thoughts please?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal, I'd like to close the question please.

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
If you would still like assistance with this issue I have some ideas / tests for you to preform to figure this problem out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply but I already asked to close my question as I found out the cause was an ageing battery.

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
I will request the question be closed for you.