Chris
Chris, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

I have a Honda PCX 125cc scooter. When the weather temperature

Customer Question

I have a Honda PCX 125cc scooter. When the weather temperature drops towards or below freezing the bike won't start. Other PCX owners around the world have the same problem. It SEEMS the battery (gel type) just can't cope with being cold, the bike won't start in the morning but WILL start no trouble later in the afternoon/evening when the ambient temperature has risen. Can you offer any solution/s? the battery is otherwise in good order and gives no problems at any other time. IS there a "wet" lead acid battery that will lie on it's side without leaking that can replace the gel OEM battery? I've never had an "old fashioned" wet battery fail to start because it's cold ever before
Ronnie
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Ronnie,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like to close your question?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you try to start the engine when cold? Does it crank as if the battery is low? How many miles on the bike? Have you ever had it serviced? If so, that service work was performed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no crank at all, what happens is as follows.
the problem only occurs in winter, when the temperature drops to near freezing the net effect of turning on the ignition is that all the lights, come up as normal, the speedo needle sweeps as normal but the pressing the ignition switch produces nothing, no crank as a low battery, no clicks zero. as mentioned other Honda owners have experienced this around the world, there is even a YouTube video showing exactly what happens when it's cold, the bike has had one service and is in all fairness due another I think 15000ml (approx.) 4 years from new owned
the service was the usual, plug, oil, filter check, brakes, etc.
consensus among other owners of PCX's is that the Gel battery fails to pass electric current when chilled (net research seems to back this up)
There is a story doing the rounds on Honda forums that replacing the spark plug remedies the problem but I can't see how that would make a difference if it's down to the battery's fall off in performance when winter temperatures prevail

Regard

Ronnie

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the you tube video you are refering to ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is exactly what mine does

http://youtu.be/pJnTqAchajM

Ronnie

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
What you are seeing is a loss of voltage to the bikes electrical system, I suggest you follow the negative battery wire from the battery to where it connectes to the engine/frame, make sure that connection is clean and tight, do the same with the positive, as well as the connections at the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can I ask one quick question in relation to this, does this fault get worse in the cold weather?

it only happens when it's cold, I'll give it a go though :)

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
When cold your bike draws more amperage.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Any progress?