P.J.
P.J., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  10+ Years as a mechanic and fabricator in an independent motorcycle shop.
75205684

I have a 1991 FXSTC. The problem is the indicators will work

I have a 1991 FXSTC. The problem is the indicators will work for the first 20 or so miles then they fail. If I turn the bike off for 10 minutes they will resume to work, but only for a couple of miles. They will work for longer distances only when the engine is cold ?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 2 years ago.
If by indicators you are referring to the turn signals themselves I'd say the issue is the module getting too hot.
The module is located between the gas tank halves on top of the frame backbone. It is a gray colored rectangle box with a multi-wire rectangle plug in one end.
The heat that rises up and can get it pretty warm. It isn't a very common problem though. You can determine if heat is the issue by riding the bike to cause the problem and then quickly cooling the module to see if the indicators work properly by doing so.
The fix could be somewhat difficult as they no longer produce that module. There are aftermarket replacement that can be spliced in place of it though. You may also be able to find a good used one online.
If the heat is the only problem you also may be able to fabricate a heat shield to help keep it cool while riding.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think your right with your answer, but could you give me the original Harley part number for this module. This will enable me to search sites to try and purchase this item .

thanks,

Steve Knight.

Expert:  P.J. replied 2 years ago.
Part number is *****
Badlands part ATS-03A is a "plug and play" replacement module if you can't find the original.
I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.