P.J.
P.J., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  10+ Years as a mechanic and fabricator in an independent motorcycle shop.
75205684

1 am replacing my compensator with the new upgrade + a new

Hi 1 am replacing my compensator with the new upgrade + a new clutch as the sprockets are wore,to fit new compensator I had to remove inner primary as well because I need to replace rotor as well but when I removed inner primary I seem to have a lot of play on main sprocket drive shaft is this normal or do I have a bigger problem?my bike is a*****King with 36000 miles Thanks
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure which sprocket shaft to which you are referring but basically, no, there shouldn't be much "play" on any of the shafts. If you give me a little more detail on which shaft I can get you the exact specs and we can determine if you have another issue. Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi yes it's called the input shaft part number 35467-06 it's the shaft the sprocket that drives the belt is on there was no play on the shaft until I took inner primary cover off which has a bearing on it,the sprocket itself is tight but when you rock the shaft up and down there is a good bit of movement,I'm not sure what tolerance I should have? Thanks
Expert:  P.J. replied 9 months ago.
That shaft should have zero end play (up/down, in/out) and no more than 0.003" runout (wobble during rotation). It sounds like you may have a transmission mainshaft bearing that is bad as that provides most of the support. I hope this helps. Please let me know if i can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok PJ thanks just one more question when I put it into gear and turn shaft it is free for about 10mm each way is this normal? Thanks
Expert:  P.J. replied 9 months ago.
That amount of rotation seems excessive. There is no specification for it. It can be difficult to diagmose that problem. It may be isolated to one gearset or just the main gear. Thanks, P.J.
P.J., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience: 10+ Years as a mechanic and fabricator in an independent motorcycle shop.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok Pj thanks for all your help seems I have bigger problems Regards Gerard