P.J.
P.J., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  10+ Years as a mechanic and fabricator in an independent motorcycle shop.
75205684

I have got a 2006 Harley Davidson Deluxe, Just had the rear

Customer Question

I have got a 2006 Harley Davidson Deluxe, Just had the rear wheel striped down and rebuilt with new spokes, Put the disc and pully back on with a new tyre, Put the wheel into the swingarm lined it up and tighten the nut, But when I spin the wheel it pulls the belt rubbing against the swingarm? I have had the wheel back out a few times to check that all is ok And every thing is in the wright place Never heard of this before??
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 10 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  P.J. replied 10 months ago.

It is very easy, and common, for the tire to rub the belt after having a wheel re-laced. If the tire seems to be causing the issue then the problem is that the wheel hub was laced in and set at a different offset from the factory specification. This causes the rim and tire to shift relative to the hub.

If the pulley seems to be the issue then there can only be a spacing problem. The pulley to swingarm relationship is not affected by the re-lacing.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive rating for my service. Thanks, P.J.