Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 99 blackbird starts and runs ok for 10-20 miles. after

Customer Question

my 99 blackbird starts and runs ok for 10-20 miles. after this i feel excessive engine braking and if i stop and try to resart the starter motor will not turn the engine over. the battery is ok. i have replaced the starter relay. could this be the starter motor gear not retracting?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

hello

this is sounding like something is binding up as its all expands with temperature?

does the engine turn over by hand ( using a socket and breaker bar) on the sprocket nut?

is the engine oil very dark and burnt smelling?

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you