healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

IN A 85 YEAR LADY, NO EVIDENCE OF SCHIZOPHRENIA, GIVE A HISTORY

Customer Question

IN A 85 YEAR LADY, NO EVIDENCE OF SCHIZOPHRENIA, GIVE A HISTORY OF CONSISTING SINGING OF SONGS AND ORHESTRAL MUSIC FROMTHE TIME SHE WAKES TO HEN SHE SLEEPS. OCCASSIONALLY THE MUSIC WAKES HER FROM HER SLEEP. SHE WEARS A HEARING AID. THERE IS A FAMILY HISTORY. SHE HAS HAD 2 STROKES LEFT SIDED THE LAST ONE 6 MONTHS AGO.
WHAT IS THE LIKELY CAUSE OF HER AUDITORY HALLUCINATIONS?
ANY TREATMENT?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 4 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a neurologist and will try to answer your question. I have noted that in the elderly, the most common reason for behavioral symptoms is often dementia. Certainly the recent strokes, if involving areas of Heschl's gyrus, can also lead to hallucinations. I have also noted that the elderly who have issues with anxiety also tend to hum or sing on a routine basis. It may calm their generalized sense of anxiety.

healthydoc :

please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.