healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I sustain a mild traumatic brain injury some 9 months ago,

Customer Question

I sustain a mild traumatic brain injury some 9 months ago, having been thrown from a horse. Whilst i can see improvement particualy in the last month, i am sat here typing this with a dull aching resonance at the back of my head/brain.
Whilst i am prevalledged to be getting "better" it is however a hard journey, i cannot detect a cause and effect process of doing to much /causing exacerbation of effects of the injury. I challenged myself not to shut down or "compress the pain" yet the opposite "to open to the pain"is seemingly difficult, the pain being a dull aching resonance, dragging and pulling, rather than acute stabbing pain. Acknowledging this is somehow difficult as at times i've lost sight of what "normal feels like" and it just is.
I would value any feed back and perspectives you may be able to offer

Graham Edwards
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Did you have MRI of your cervical spine?

healthydoc :

Based on your symptoms dull pain in back of your head can be due to post concussion syndrome or can be due to disc herniation in your neck causing radiating pain especially when muscles are in spasm.

healthydoc :

As MRI of your head has ruled out bleeds and tumor it can be related to muscle tension. You can try muscle relaxant like flexiril along with moist heat.

healthydoc :

Did you have MRI of your neck?

healthydoc :

Please get back to me with above information requested so we can discuss further. Thank you.

Customer:

I had MRI of my head and asked technicians to base of scull/top of my neck as i had a lot of compression at base of scull. The results were reported as nothing amis. Further than that i don't know the specifics of the MRI scans.

Customer:

I have thankfully always had full movement and full rotation of my head and neck so i've asumed from that that with "no obvious pinch points" that my neck it's self is ok?

Customer:

I will try Flexiril as you suggest.......

healthydoc :

Okay try flexiril but I would also suggest to have MRI of cervical spine as well as MRI of head would not give clear image of the neck injury.

Customer:

Ok, i'll see how i get on

Customer:

healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified U.S. Neurologist