healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

Hello I suffer from migraine which was diagnosed by a neurologist.

Customer Question

I suffer from migraine which was diagnosed by a neurologist. I did not have any tests other than examine at the back of my eyes and ask me questions regarding symtoms.
I am taking propronanal for this 40 mg twice a day as my headaches became more severe as it seems they are triggered by stress - which I do get a lot of stress in work. My symtons apart from normal migraine symtons are the following.
It sometimes feels as though someone is trying to pull the nerves out of one side of my head and I get a pain. This could happen at any time and then goes away. I also get the feeling of someone walking all over my face and my lips go numb and tingle. I also get pins and needles in my left arm, and I go light headed and my head feels as though it is swimming.

Please can you tell me if this is normal and if so what type of migraine do I have. Without medication I do experience migraine every day but not always to the degree I have explained above.

Lynne
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question. You may be experiencing tension type headaches. For this you may need to be switched from propranolol to a medication such as Pamelor or Topamax. You may find this to be more helpful in terms of relieving your sensory complaints. Pamelor is therapy taken daily before bed time. It will help you sleep better and at the same time reduce the intensity of your headaches. I suggest that the next time you go to your neurologist you ask about these medications.

Customer:

Are you saying that I may be experiencing tension headaches as well or it could be tension headaches rather than migraine.

Customer:

healthydoc :

yes based on what you have mentioned it is a tension headache.

healthydoc :

You're welcome.

healthydoc :

Tension headaches are usually triggered by stress.

healthydoc :

Lightheadedness and tingling can be related to the anxiety.

healthydoc :

Moist heat applying around your neck can help.

Customer:

Thank you - I did have an attack such as the sensation of someone trying to pull the nerves out of my head(only way to describe it sorry) I was sent to the hospital and it was stated it was migraine. Are the symtoms similar?

Customer:

I did have an attack such as the sensation of someone trying to pull the nerves out of my head(only way to describe it sorry) I was sent to the hospital and it was stated it was migraine. Are the symtoms similar?

healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified U.S. Neurologist