Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

i have seen 2 neurologists and have had 1 emg all tests normal

Customer Question

i have seen 2 neurologists and have had 1 emg
all tests normal
but my condition continues to get worse
symptons are
lack of fine motor skills in hands and arms lack of spatial awareness ie when going to pick up objects etc arms weak and terrible pains down them like fire
started jan and getting progressively worse
i am a self employed pawnbroker and aged 60
both neurologists did same tests and because i was treated for depression they came to
the same conclusions ie mad and i am stuck in a kalfenesque nightmare to try and convince syptoms are real
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

Hello. How long has this been going on? Have you had an MRI of the cervical spine?

JACUSTOMER-twwwsv19- : Had an MRi in January. For suspected stroke
JACUSTOMER-twwwsv19- : motor skills loss started then
JACUSTOMER-twwwsv19- : also no taste or smell
Doctor-Bob :

and that test was negative? and the symptoms affect both arms, right?

JACUSTOMER-twwwsv19- : Yes and pains burning pains
Doctor-Bob :

My concern given bilateral motor and sensory symptoms would be a problem in the cervical spine where the nerves from both arms converge on their way up to the brain.

Doctor-Bob :

This would require an MRI of the cervical spine...to rule out bilateral nerve compression from something like arthritis in the neck, or spinal stenosis where the spinal cord actually gets crowded and/or compressed and symptoms begin to progress slowly down the arms (and sometimes the legs).

JACUSTOMER-twwwsv19- : weakness in arms
Doctor-Bob :

This is not normal. Depression cannot explain this.

JACUSTOMER-twwwsv19- : Ok il go for that I've seen three consultants
Doctor-Bob :

Have they done blood tests to rule out more obvious things like diabetes, low thyroid, low B12 levels, etc?

JACUSTOMER-twwwsv19- : mane no joy it's a nightmare just typing this is difficult
Doctor-Bob :

Even those things would most likely affect the feet first, anyway.

Doctor-Bob :

Hand and arm issues often point to the cervical spine, especially when both sides are affected.

JACUSTOMER-twwwsv19- : Yes
JACUSTOMER-twwwsv19- : Do you know a good neurologist in the Nottingham area uk ?
Doctor-Bob :

I would start at the University of Nottingham. They are most likely to have neurologists that are uptodate and have the best resources at their disposal. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/SCS/Divisions/ClinicalNeurology/index.aspx I think a good occupational therapist could be very helpful to you as well.

Doctor-Bob :

Occupational therapists are the ones specialized in arm and hand issues, particularly when they involve strength and fine motor control.

Doctor-Bob :

Are you still there?