healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I had brain surgery in Oct 2010 on a growth on my pineal gland.

Customer Question

I had brain surgery in Oct 2010 on a growth on my pineal gland. I was 60 as the time and the surgery was very difficult on me. It affected my balance, walking (balance) is now awkward and difficult, my tongue and upper lip are permanently irritated, sort of feels like they have recently be burnt, and talking is difficult at times i.e. some words hard to pronounce. Is this because the surgery was so close to sensitive areas?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 4 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Symptoms you have described mainly tongue and lip where you feel like burnt or irritated can be related to the suregry if they approached through trans sphenoidal surgery. This may cause burning or burning pain that you are experiencing. You can take medications like gabapentin or pregabalin to ease the symptoms. If during the surgery these nerve were irritated than it may be permanent.

healthydoc :

As far as walking goes it is not likely related to the surgery. Did you have MRI recently? if so have they found anything in the cerebellum?

healthydoc :

Please get back to me so we can discuss further. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-ik3xcde9- :

The walking is totally a result of the surgery ... 11 hours, I was in a coma for several days ans remained in ICU for 2.5 weeks. I could notnot even stand or walk at all for several weeks.

healthydoc :

It is not likely but it can be related to a stroke you may had after the surgery affecting the walking.