healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I get ocular migraine. loss of vision for about 10-12 min.

Customer Question

I get ocular migraine. loss of vision for about 10-12 min. no pain. what warries me is that before I used to get it once a year or once every ten years.The last couple of weeks I get them every 4 or 5 days. I used to get hem when I was a child but stoped getting them since the age of 24.I am 64 now. Any advise? can that affect my vision?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Does the vision loss occur only in one eye or both eyes?

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

both

healthydoc :

okay. You don't get headaches followed by the vision loss?

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

no

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

used to but not latetly

healthydoc :

As the vision loss is in both eyes you do not have retinal migraines. So as you have vision loss in both eyes so it is nothing to worry.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

even if occurs every 4 to 5 days?

healthydoc :

Ocular migraines, in most instances, do not require any treatment. But the doctor may diagnose the patient to ensure that there is no serious blood flow issue.

healthydoc :

Stress is the major trigger of such migraines so avoiding stress would be helpful.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

my question doctor was: is it normal all of a suden this ocular migraine to occur so often?

healthydoc :

As your frequency has increased spasms in the blood vessel can cause such frequent episodes so i would suggest to get it evaluated.

healthydoc :

No sudden onset is always not good but as you history one can experience it anytime.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

is that dangerous?

healthydoc :

Lack of blood flow can be one cause. Well if there is lack of blood flow than yes it can affect your vision in long term.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

what couses the spasms in the blood? excercising?could tha be a couse? what sort of examination should I ask for?

healthydoc :

Spasms are caused by the lack of blood flow and sometimes can lead to stroke.

healthydoc :

Yes seeing a neurologist is recommended.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

now I am more relaxad u made my day. saw a doctor last week and the only thing that he asked me to do was an eye examination wich was clear.

healthydoc :

Okay. Did you see a neurologist?

healthydoc :

You may need CT or MRI to evaluate further.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

ok thanks

healthydoc :

You're welcome.

healthydoc :

Please rate my answer positively if you have no further questions.

healthydoc :

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

but innitiallyt u told me not to warry because"as the vision loss is in both eyes I have not retinal migraine so it nothing to warry" so do I warry or not?

healthydoc :

As you mentioned that if occurs after exercising and it is more frequent and it is not followed by headache that worries me.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

u mean for strockes? my blood pressure is normal. 130/80 my collasteral is 6.5 can that be the couse?

healthydoc :

lack of blood flow can cause stroke in retina.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

if I am on a risk of getting a stroke would I not have any other symptoms?

healthydoc :

i am not suggesting that you have stroke.

healthydoc :

Lack of blood flow can result in stroke.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

sorry what a stroke on the retina means?

healthydoc :

stroke occurs when there is a less blood flow to your retina.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

so what happens if one gets a stroke in the retina?

healthydoc :

experience temporary vision loss, muscle weakness and sometimes speech can be affected too.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

now my last question. if there was lack of blood flow to the retina would the eye examination not have shown that? the eye expert told me that all pressure behind the eye I normal my vision normal no problem with the retina according to him

healthydoc :

usually lack of blood flow would not be diagnosed by just eye examination. I can just suggest as i cannot examine you in person. As you mentioned the frequency has increased suddenly that is worrying me. It is better to get evaluated and hopefully everything would be normal.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

is that retina stroke life threatening?

healthydoc :

no it is not life threatening but can affect your vision. Again I am not scarring you that you have stroke.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

hope not thank u doctor

healthydoc :

You're welcome.

JACUSTOMER-1003rw5s- :

ok

healthydoc :

I wish you the best.

healthydoc :

Please rate my answer positively. Thank you.