Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I am a sufferer of Restless Legs Syndrome. I have had the

Customer Question

I am a sufferer of Restless Legs Syndrome. I have had the symptoms since I was 16 years old but since my 40's it has got a lot worse and has now lead me to be on the drug pramipexole (0.88mg). Whilst this medication is working for now I am concerned about being on it for a long period, as I feel the dosage will only have to increase with age/time. I have seen some studies in Australia where they have been scanning peoples brains to see if they can identify exactly what people may be lacking as it could be dopamine or iron perhaps. I have recently started taking liquid iron and feel it helps but without coming off my medication I cannot be sure. However I had one night recently with no medication and it was as bad as ever. I am also about to undergo IVF and should I become pregnant I will not be able to take my medication so this is a real worry for me. Hence the question can I be scanned in the UK to indentify what is the key reason for my RLS in the hope there may be some other more natural course of treatment? Finally my other big worry is there any kind of test that would show if I was pre-disposed to getting Parkinsons due to having RLS now? Any help or advice greatly appreciated!! Many thanks, Jacky
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

Hello. The relationship between Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) and Parkinson's disease (PD) is still controversial. Most genetic, pathological, and imaging data argue against a close association of these two disorders. While there seems to be a slightly increased prevalence of RLS in PD patients, this may be because more cases come to light in this group. You should not worry about the opposite, namely getting PD because you have RLS. The mechanisms of these disorders are quite different.

Doctor-Bob :

As for diagnosing RLS, there is no specific test or scan for it. It is a clinical diagnosis. Laboratory tests may be performed , however, to rule out other conditions, such as iron and vitamin deficiencies. A sleep study, such as a polysomnogram (a test that records the individual’s brain waves, heartbeat, breathing, and leg movements during an entire night) may identify other potential causes or confounding features of sleep disruption (e.g., sleep apnea), which may impact management of RLS.

Doctor-Bob :

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Jacky. I did not hear back from you. Did you have any follow up questions for me? If so, please let me know and I would be happy to assist you further.

...

If you have no more questions, a positive rating would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

...

Regards,

Doctor-Bob