healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

My grandmother who is 92 yrs. had a thigh fracture about 4

Customer Question

My grandmother who is 92 yrs. had a thigh fracture about 4 months ago Ann had successful surgery and is mobile again, she showed slight post trauma symptoms. And they prescribed Rispadone the minimal dose. She has improved tremendously, but at night time she can wake up to go to the toilet and then find difficult to sleep, and become noisy and has disturbed sleep. During the day she sleeps two to three hours in intervals. Her appetite is good. She does have anxiety and says 'we are alone' especially in the evening. She can be aggressive at times when things don' go her way. What is the best remedy for her and others to get peaceful sleep at night. We do not wish to treat her with hypnotic drugs. Her memory is very good too. Please advise. Should we think about discontinue rispadone and give her only nootropil? As she is having both at the moment .
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 4 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

The aggressive behavior and inability to sleep can a side effect of risperidone so you can ask her doctor to switch the medication to Ativan or clonazepam or Xanax that would help with her sleep too.

healthydoc :

Do not stop any medication before consulting her doctor as he has her full medical history.

healthydoc :

Nootripil can be helping in improving memory and cognitive behavior and may not help her for sleep and aggressive behavior so i would not recommend that. Moreover you need to cautious specially when prescribing to the elderly patent.

healthydoc :

She can also try natural supplement called melatonin available in any pharmacy that would help her to sleep better.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.