Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  15 years' clinical experience
23744323

nerve problems in surapubic area

Customer Question

I have had endo removed recently and also been diagnosed with hiatas hernia and herniated disc in back although from MRI, this is not pressing on nerves. I have had bladder probs since last August and either do not get sensation to go much or usually the other way where I am getting the feeling to go all the time, all day, every day. I have huge irritation every day (approx 4-5 inches) beneath my tummy button exactly in the middle of surapubic region and just under c-section, it is roughly the area of a couple of coins and is absolutely unbearable. It feels like I need to urinate all the time kind of sensation, sometimes shooting pain down to urthethra even if just sitting still. I also get pain in my urethra, does not hurt to pass urine. I am desperate for an answer as to what is happening to me. I thought it was IC, my dr has ruled this out as I had cystoscopy as all clear inside me. Could this be nerve entrapment, they did not see this on MRI or any other nerve problems. I do not want to go through bladder installations unless I have to and injections for endometriosis also. Which nerves run downwards through middle of surapubic area? Please advice asap, thanks

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

It is possible your symptoms are nerve entrapment related in view of normal cystoscopy.

Mysticdoc :

Sacral nerves are innervating the affected area arising from the sacral spine.

Mysticdoc :

This can be checked by the nerve conduction study.

Mysticdoc :

Since MRI did show herniated disc ( if this is at the level L5, S1) then this can be the contributing factor.

Mysticdoc :

In case there is documented nerve entrapment from the nerve conduction study, then nerve blocking injections should be helpful.

Mysticdoc :

Surgery is another option to remove the pressure on the affected nerve.

Mysticdoc :

You should consult with a neurologist first for the nerve conduction study.

Mysticdoc :

Pelvic endometriosis is another possibility and this can only diagnosed by the laparoscopic ally.

Mysticdoc :

This possibility should be considered in case nerve conduction study comes back normal.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

JACUSTOMER-8o3y5xhs- :

I have a laproscopy done and all as far as I am aware endometriosis was removed. The MRI showed no nerve entrapment just small herniated disc in L5/S1 area. The pain is confined to a small area in mid-surapubic area just below old c-section scar and affects daily life. I can only wear fitted trousers for a short time and then I get pain. Are there nerves in this area that run down to the urthera, would any problems show on MRI? thankyou

Mysticdoc :

Yes they are

Mysticdoc :

Sacral nerves

Mysticdoc :

As I said aboe even a small disc herniation can cause pinched nerve related symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

THis can be confirmed by the nerve conduction study ( different test).

Mysticdoc :

Sinc you have history of endometriosis, this is your next possibility.

Mysticdoc :

Usually combination hormone pills should be helpful in case this is endometriosis related.

Mysticdoc :

But I will suggest you to see a neurologist or spine surgeon first.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,