healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

Hi My husband is suffering from chronic trigeminal neuralgia

Customer Question

My husband is suffering from chronic trigeminal neuralgia on the right side of his face. He had decompression surgery to correct this in 2006 and was fine until mid February this year. He has been on a cocltail of drugs since then including morphine but the paid still breaks through. We have been to A&E clinics on numerous occasions and they seem to administer morphine which he was also perscribed by his GP. An MRI scan shows no abnormalities. The pain trigger points alter from day to day, but eating, talking and drinking are out of the question at most times. He manages to eat "sloppy" foods at some point during the day but is in great pain while doing so and he continues to lose weight and is becoming very depressed. We have been to see a nuerologist today who has changed his medication again but does not talk about any procedures that will end the pain.
I have read about a nerve block, can you give me some more information regarding the nerve block and the long term affects. Will his face drop, will his face be completely numb (like after dentistry), how long will it last, etc
Any information you can give me will be greatly apprecaited.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Yes nerve block can be helpful to ease the pain from TN.

healthydoc :

Before having the procedure his physician will provide him the information that he may have facial numbness for atleast 24 hours after the procedure so he may have difficulty in chewing in that 24 hrs.

healthydoc :

No he would not likely have a facial droop and would expect the relief. If the physician uses glycerol as neurolytic agent compared to alcohol than he may have 100% good positive result.

healthydoc :

The potential side effects, the most common of which is swelling and bruising of the face. Rarely, some residual weakness of muscles or difficulty in breathing or swallowing can occur as a consequence of the involvement of other nerves. If these side effects arise make sure his physician is aware.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.