Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I had an AVM on my brain and had it treated with gamma knife

Customer Question

I had an AVM on my brain and had it treated with gamma knife 10 yrs ago, it was 4 mm. After one lot of treatment I was told it had been totally obliterated, the neuro was flabbergasted. In approx. 2007/8 after feeling unwell I was found to have an aneurysm on the other side, they decided to monitor it. After being given wrong medication I had another slight stroke (I had the same previous to the AVM), so they had to operate as something was growing from the aneurysm. I had a craniotomy in april 2011. I got the all clear from that but im still get pain which is now back on the same side where I had the AVM and can sometimes but quite severe. I have been back to the hospital to have a ct scan which doesn't show anymore aneurysms but does show something that needs 'checking out' on my AVM. What could go wrong after all this time with gamma knife? Just now I have pain all over my head and it feels like a big infection. Im just so fed up now after 13 yrs of being ill
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

Hello. Have you been scheduled for an MRI or angiogram to follow up on this CT finding?

Doctor-Bob :

It would be important, given your continued symptoms, to rule out a subtotal obliteration of your AVM that was not appreciated after gamma knife surgery and now has enlarged again or recanulated.

Doctor-Bob :

Similarly, a rare occurrence following gamma surgery for AVM's is the development of an expansive cyst at or adjacent to the obliterated AVM

Doctor-Bob :

These can occur 5 to 10 years following treatment and occasionally are symptomatic due to mass effect, requiring retreatment.

Doctor-Bob :

An MRI or MRA should reveal the presence of such complications. In the meantime, if you are feeling ill and your headaches are severe, you should be evaluated by a doctor and possibly have a lumbar puncture, especially if the MRI is not readily available or is indeterminate.

Doctor-Bob :

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jan. I did not hear back from you. Did you have any follow up questions for me? If so, please let me know and I would be happy to assist you further.

Best wishes.
Doctor-Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hiya Dr Bob, im sorry I haven't replied earlier but ive been ill, not sure if its related. I have just received a call from the consultant this evening, at 9pm, to say that hes been talking to my neurosurgeon and they have decided to try and fit me in early Friday morning to perform an angiogram and an mri. He will let me know on friday lunch time the results of these tests. I will update you when I get the results, thank you for your help.

Take care

Jan

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. Hope all goes well, and I look forward to the follow up. This thread may expire in the meantime...just so you know.