healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I have had sciatica for the last two weeks. Both hands and

Customer Question

I have had sciatica for the last two weeks. Both hands and fingers have tingling and weakness what can I do to stop this condition.
Sarah.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 4 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question. By sciatica do you mean the tingling and weakness in the hands?

JACUSTOMER-i2f0dzvy- : The sciatica is my buttock and leg since this developed the tingling and weakness started in my hands.
healthydoc :

Thank you. Tingling and weakness in hands and fingers is most often related to carpal tunnel syndrome which is a compression of the median nerve as it travels through the wrist. If that is the case wearing cock-up splints (can buy over the counter at any pharmacy) , especially at night may be helpful. also NSAIDs such as ibuprofen may help as well. It would be wise to see a neurologist to have nerve conduction/EMG studies to confirm the diagnosis and the doctor may also order imaging tests such as an MRI of the neck. For the back and leg problem a nerve conduction test may also be helpful and also an MRI of the lower back to look for evidence of a herniated disk or something similar. The doctor may also order blood tests to look at your thyroid function. An underactive thyroid can predispose to carpal tunnel syndrome.

healthydoc :

NSAID medication may also help relieve the leg and back pain as well.

healthydoc :

The hands and back problems are most likely not related, but the doctor will help determine that with more certainty

JACUSTOMER-i2f0dzvy- : Thank you.
JACUSTOMER-i2f0dzvy- : Sarah.
healthydoc :

My pleasure, Sarah! If I have answered your questions well please rate my answeres positively. that would be very appreciated.