healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

My husband been in hospital last 12 days with back and leg

Customer Question

My husband been in hospital last 12 days with back and leg pain, got mri scan told disc L5 bulging to the left but he has a lot of pain shooting down right leg and hospital don't know why and problem with bladder no pressure when passing urine. Been put home to take 29 painkillers a day for the next 6 -8 weeks. What do you think any ideas is it worth going private for a second opinion.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 4 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question. I would recommned a second opinion mainly because he is having problems with his bladder. The compression from the disc may be effecting the nerves that control urination and that can be very serious. He may need surgery to cut the disc away if this continues.

healthydoc :

I suspect the disc may be putting pressure on exiting nerves both on the left and the right side

healthydoc :

And that is why he is having pain down the right leg

JACUSTOMER-ed9nm39s- :

today all the pain is in his knee would heat or ice do any good

healthydoc :

if it is radiating pain from the back then probably not

healthydoc :

have they used any steroids to get the swelling down in his back?

JACUSTOMER-ed9nm39s- :

no got diclofenac, tramadol, paracetamol, diazepan, pregablin home from hospital to take next 6 -8 weeks but was also getting oral morphine while in hospital but still in a lot of pain

healthydoc :

Understood. A course fo steroids can also help because most of the problems from a bulging disc are actually due to swelling and inflammation in the area.

healthydoc :

either way I would try to get a Neurosurgeon to re-assess if the bladder problem is there

JACUSTOMER-ed9nm39s- :

Thanks very much for prompt reply will look into going private for a second oppinion

healthydoc :

Any time. please rate my answers positively if this was helpful. Take care