healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

hi, my partner had a seizure last week end. he had one also

Customer Question

hi, my partner had a seizure last week end. he had one also 5 years ago. it was the same type as last time (gran mal) it lasted about 5 minutes. having all tests last time showed nothing at all. after 5 years and no changes in life we were very shocked that it happened so long after the first. my partner drinks on a weekend but not through the week and perhaps more than you probably should . he was not offered tests this time as the doctor put it down to alcohol and he was told to stop drinking or cut down a lot. what we don't understand is why when he has had this pattern of drinking for so long can it happen with a 5 year gap and when he had the first seizure it was mid week and he hadn't been drinking. could you please explain this to us. he has been prescribed vitamins b and thiamine. could you explain this too. thank you. s m campey
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 4 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

If the seizures are due to alcohol, then they usually happen 2-4 days after the last drink as withdrawal has to set in and that's when seizures can happen

healthydoc :

vitamin B and thiamine are given in case there is a nutritional deficit secondary to alcohol drinking

healthydoc :

It's standard procedure but only really effective for people who drink but do not consume enough food. The thiamine has to do with sugar metabolism