healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

Hi..im a 28yr old male from the uk. About 4 days ago ive noticed

Customer Question

Hi..im a 28yr old male from the uk. About 4 days ago ive noticed that everytime when i bend my neck forward i seem to get a electric shock type feeling in my lower back..then it changed to my inner thighs and now back to my lower back..after research i think its lhermittes sign.. Now im worried about ms after everything ive read..im now worrying myself sick. My question is...is lhermites a common first symptom of ms? As i dont seem to have the other symptoms..yet?? And for about 4 years now ive had a crick in my neck..almost as if its a need to make my neck click..i know i should have gone to see doc but i never..i just seem to get on with it and move n strech my neck a lot..could this have possibly caused lhermittes sign for me? Any help much appreciated..steven
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

It is unlikely to be MS as you would have symptoms like weakness, constant tingling in your limbs, blurred vision, bladder problems.

healthydoc :

I think it can be related to your pinched nerve in your lower back leading to such symptoms.

healthydoc :

Lhermitte's sign is an electrical sensation that shoots down the spine from the head towards the feet. It is often brought on by flexing the neck so that the chin moves towards the chest. The sign is thought to indicate dysfunction of the dorsal columns of the cervical spinal cord, which are responsible for transmitting information about light touch and vibration to the brain.

healthydoc :

Sometimes Lhermitte's can also be caused by vitamin B12 deficiency.

healthydoc :

Moreover in Lhermitte's you would experience symptoms running till legs and not only till thighs.

healthydoc :

Sometimes cervical spondylosis can also be one reason. I would suggest to see a neurologist who can order MRI of your brain and cervical spine to evaluate further and order blood test for vitamin B12 deficiency.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The answer meerly told me what i had already found out.. I asked two questions about and neither were answered
As you do not have any other symptoms diagnosis of MS is unlikely and Yes the symptoms you have mentioned is related to Lhermitte's but MS is not only the cause of Lhermitte's, causes like vitamin B12 deficiency, Transverse Myelitis, cervical spondylosis can also be taken into consideration. Only way to diagnose is to have MRI.