Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Hi..im a 28yr old male from the uk. About 4 days ago ive noticed

Customer Question

Hi..im a 28yr old male from the uk. About 4 days ago ive noticed that everytime when i bend my neck forward i seem to get a electric shock type feeling in my lower back..then it changed to my inner thighs and now back to my lower back..after research i think its lhermittes sign.. Now im worried about ms after everything ive read..im now worrying myself sick. My question is..

1....is lhermites a common first symptom of ms? As i dont seem to have the other symptoms..yet??

2..And for about 4 years now ive had a crick in my neck..almost as if its a need to make my neck click..i know i should have gone to see doc but i never..i just seem to get on with it and move n strech my neck a lot..could this have possibly caused lhermittes sign for me? Any help much appreciated..steven
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Bob :

Hi Steven. Lhermitte phenomenon is frequently encountered in MS, but can also be seen with other lesions of the cervical cord, including tumors, cervical disc herniation, postradiation myelopathy, and following trauma.

Dr. Bob :

It occurs in about 10% of MS patients but is usually not the first sign.

Dr. Bob :

Since you have a history of neck pain, you should ask your doc for an MRI of the cervical spine. If they can image the brain at the same time, that would provide a lot of useful information with which to make an accurate diagnosis.

Dr. Bob :

Let me know what your follow up questions are.

Dr. Bob :

I did not get your response. I will switch us over to Q&A which is more reliable than chat.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hi Steven. Did you see my answer? Can you arrange for an MRI?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hi Steven. Please let me know if you have any further information or questions you would like to go over. I'll be checking back regularly.

Regards,
Doctor-Bob