Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

I am 55 and had epilepsy since seven with left frontal lobe

Customer Question

I am 55 and had epilepsy since seven with left frontal lobe damage I have absence and grand mal seizures complex and uncontrolled I have had a poor response since I changed my Neurologist at Walton Neurological Centre Fazakerley Liverpool. I changed specialists over three years ago after having seizures close to grand mal on a trip to Glasgow to Liverpool I was put in a Psychiatric Unit reason TRAVELLING TO GLASGOW ON OWN AND DISORIENTATED. This ended up in me being in various psychiatric units. When my Neurologist prrescribed psychotic drugs Iknew he was inept.3 yrs ago @I changed my Neurologist 3 yrs ago and he has been disinterested and said my fits must be viewed by telemetry. Although I have numerous fits absence which result in imediate urination and many aurasThe night fits were getting worse My teeth have broken I have terrible pain where my whole spine neck lumber region knees and even toes were happening nightly. I went to my GP who informed the Neurologist they were getting worse I knew I was worsening because my back knees and lumber region were becoming painful continually. My knees now feel they are slicing inside and permanent severe pain in my back continual. The strongest pain killers are ineffectual.Though 55 until two months ago my Dr said I was very fit and agile for my age. Now I find it difficult to walk because off the pain in my knees. I am awaiting blood test results for arthtitis but even if it is arthritis, I believe cause and effect started by the epilepsy whereas the epilepsy recently refused to alter medication and intimated I had arthritis.

Please help me I am lost but I manage to get my self moving by heat and exercises and am determined that I have many night epilepsy where I go rigid arch my back, press my body severely flexing even fingers and palms of hands.

I will have to go now as sitting down for these last 20 mins is beginning to cause more pain in my back and knees. In 3 years I have seen the new Neurologist twice and he only speaks of telemetry and needing a 'base line'. That being telemetry for which there is even a long list.

Walton although a reputable unit I am being sidelined probably as the embarassment of being in a psychiatric unit and psychiatric medication, which is finished My first words to the epilepsy nurse on my recent visit, only just reinstated, was why was I put in a psychiatric unit she said DISORIETATION AFTER A TRIP TO GLASGOW.

But surely disorientation is the very nature of epilepsy, I was compus mentus and searching for NHS DIRECT for medication. I visited several hospitals but then was taken to the psychiatric unit.

IT IS A HORROR STORY, THE NEUROLOGISTS ARE EMBARASSED BUT HAVE REALLY WITHDRAWN TREATMENT. THE EPILEPSY NURSE SAID THERE WERE ALTERNATIVE MEDICATION BUT THE NEUROLOGIST INSISTED ON NOT CHANGING. If they had acted even 2 months ago I would not be in the state I am in now. I am still fitting day and night to extreme. Thankyou
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am happy to help you.

thank you for your medication list. I see antiseizure medications (clobozam, keppra, lamotragine) and high cholesterol medication (simvastatin) and benzodiazapines (nitrazepam and diazepam). I don't see any psychiatric medication.

what psychiatric diagnosis do you have? what psychiatric medications have you been on?

I am sorry about your knee pain.

when is your next EEG telemetry evaluation set up for?