healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

Hello I am 48 year woman who does not drink or smoke. I have

Customer Question

Hello I am 48 year woman who does not drink or smoke. I have had a microscopic haematuria which has been found three times through urinalysis , I have hypertension to which I take Rampril 2.5mg. I have had a ultrasound san which did not detect anything. I have had CT Urogram and my urine was sent off for cytology both came back normal. I have now been told I need a flexible cystoscopy do you think I need this seeing everything else has come back normal. thank you for your help with this matter

Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

If CT urography was normal than your doctor can also order retrograde pyelography which is used to evaluate the upper urinary tract. During retrograde pyelography, the patient is taken to the operating room and dye is injected up the ureters from the bladder and then images are taken.

healthydoc :

However the main limitation of these imaging studies is the inability to evaluate the bladder; therefore a cystoscopic evaluation is required. That is why cystoscopy is advised in your case as everything was normal.

healthydoc :

Looking through the cystoscope the doctor can examine the inner lining of the bladder and urethra for abnormalities which imaging studies cannot help to evaluate.

healthydoc :

i would suggest to have one in order to evaluate fully.

healthydoc :

You should also know that sometimes there would be no cause found for this condition.

healthydoc :

So follow up with your doctor would be recommended if no cause is found.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

if you have no further questions than please rate my answer positively. Thank you.