Doctor Natasha
Doctor Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician. Specialized in neurological emergencies
16455829

Hi my 12 year old has recently been suffering from fits. He

Hi my 12 year old has recently been suffering from fits. He has recently been diagnosed with a chiari malformation type 2 and a large cyst in posterior fossa. He was admitted to hospital after first fit and has had other fits at home and recovers fairy quickly after. His eeg was ok, so are the fits related to his diagnosis? What can i do to help?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Doctor Natasha replied 3 years ago.
hello
sorry about the delay in the reply.
Any other medical problems or medications?
I see that you are gone.
The answer to your question, is yes- any type of structural deformation in the brain has the potential of causing electrical disturbances- e.g. seizures.
These are usually associated with type 1, but people have reported them in type 2 as well.
It is important to note that a normal EEG does not exclude epilepsy, as around 10% of patients with epilepsy never show epileptiform discharges
In order to differentiate this, you can ask your pediatric neurologist about other studies, such as
SPECT, PET, MEG, and fMRI-EEG which may help with the diagnosis.

I hope that I provided you with excellent service.
Please leave positive feedback if I did
Use reply if you need clarification.
:-)
Doctor Natasha, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician. Specialized in neurological emergencies