Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Hello, My name isXXXXX am 66 years old. I am fit and well,

Customer Question

Hello, My name isXXXXX am 66 years old.
I am fit and well, have good eyesight with my glasses, have good balance and physical endurance. I do not suffer from aching joints and feel generally fine.

What concerns me is fatigue or tiredness. My children say I could sleep for Britain.
I can always sleep after a meal, and although I love reading the concentration seems to induce sleep quite quickly.
I use food supplements to ensure a regular input of vitamins and minerals and regularly eat all meats and dairy produce as well as fruit and veg.

I survived a heart attack when I was 42, took statins, beta blockers and aspirin for 15 years or so until my doctor was able to take me off them. I have not taken prescription medicines for about 8 years and feel much better without them. (apart from the sleepiness).

I have had a little numbness in my right thumb for a number of years, apart from that my muscles are fine and I am quite strong.

For the last year or so, now and then when I am chewing food I experience what I think is a spasm in my jaw movement and frequently bite my lip or the inside of my cheek.
I do have lack of recall (senior moments) occasionally but generally my memory is very good.

Should I be concerned at showing these symptoms? If you think I should, what should I do?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Bob :

Hi John. I don't think you should be overly concerned about these symptoms. They are quite common and typically benign. I see no red flags in your description. When was the last time you checked in with your GP?

Customer:

Two years ago.

Dr. Bob :

This would be a good time to get a screening exam and some blood tests.

Dr. Bob :

It would be helpful to know your B12 level, your thyroid level, your hematocrit, your liver enzymes and your testosterone levels.

Dr. Bob :

abnormalities in any of these parameters can cause profound fatigue and sleepiness.

Dr. Bob :

most causes can be easily treated.

Dr. Bob :

your GP might also want to check your heart to make sure it is working normally as well.

Dr. Bob :

heart failure can also cause tiredness...this can creep up on a person slowly...the best test for this is an echocardiogram.

Customer:

Many thanks,

Customer:

Many thanks. Will talk to my GP.