Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I am wondering if there is a chance I received brain damage

Customer Question

I am wondering if there is a chance I received brain damage after taking a small amount of magic mushrooms?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bob :

Hello. The chemical structure of psilocybin and psilocin (the active ingredients in magic mushrooms) is similar to the neurotransmitter called serotonin.

Dr. Bob :

In fact, the primary effect of psilocin is on the serotonin receptors. There is also evidence that psilocybin reduces the reuptake of serotonin by neurons in the brain allowing this neurotransmitter more time to act in the synapse. This is how it alters one's feelings and creates euphoria.

Dr. Bob :

So it it the equivalent, you might say, of taking some prozac. :-)

Dr. Bob :

Taking a small amount of these substances would not be expected to cause any brain damage.

Dr. Bob :

Are you experiencing any side effects?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Helen.

Did you get my response to your question? Did you have any follow up questions? Please let me know if you do, and I would be happy to help further. If your question has been answered, and you have no more questions, please provide a positive rating as this is how we get credit for our time, and how we rate the good faith of our customers.

Happy New Year.
Doctor-Bob