deardr
deardr, Doctor
Experience:  I have worked in a Medical School for last 10 years as a faculty.
25541092

My dad has vertigo and has a lot of dizzy spells. His doctor

Customer Question

My dad has vertigo and has a lot of dizzy spells.

His doctor was concerned and arranged a brain scan.

Thanksfully there was nothing in terms of cancerous activity however they did mention something about an artery which they will do more tests on.

What does it mean and what is the usual cause?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  deardr replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Can you give me the report?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have. It
Expert:  deardr replied 3 years ago.
Can you upload the images? Can you give me more details as to what doctors stated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I've just asked my mum they said it was a cyst on that showed up on the scan but how they weren't concerned - surely they should be concerned?
Expert:  deardr replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry for the delay. I was in an emergency.

Cyst in the brain parenchyma can be due to varied causes. The most likely cause is congenital {since birth}. These are - Megacisterna magna/ Arachnoid cyst {benign - not a cancer}. Benign cyst do not grow or even if they they do very slowly. They generally do not cause any mass effect over the brain parenchyma and hence do not cause any symptoms.

In his case from limited details which I have {considering that the doctors were not concerned} - It is likely that the cyst is benign. I would not be concerned of it too with vertigo as the only symptom.

For dizziness I would like to rule out few other causes like - low blood pressure, low blood sugar, abnormality at the inner ear. Few investigations like blood tests/ CT scan for temporal bones {ear abnormality} and MRI angiogram for brain {to look for blood supply of the brain} should give us more answers.

Till than - He needs to have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid postures which trigger dizziness/ avoid alcohol, smoking.

Please do not worry, he will be fine soon.

Best