healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I have had sever pains across the back of my head that feels

Customer Question

I have had sever pains across the back of my head that feels like someone is squeezing it in a vice and also behind but above my left ear I am getting horrendous pain that feels like an electric shock. I have had an MRI and CT scan which were both normal. I have also had a lumber puncture and blood tests an all that was found was a positive ANA result of 1/1000. I am at my wits end now as these pains have been constant for 5 months now and I have still not got a diagnosis or any beneficial treatment to ease it. Please can you help.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Do you have tender scalp when you have electric type of pain?

healthydoc :

Do you feel pain when moving the neck?

healthydoc :

Does pain radiate behind your eyes as well?

healthydoc :

Do have sensitivity to light?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My scalp is tender to touch.

I have osteoarthritis in my neck so I hurt most of the time when I move my head.

I don't get pain behind my eyes but my eyes stream quite often,

And I am faily sensitive to the light

Okay. Now having ANA positive can also present in healthy individuals so it isa very vague test, only if your doctor suspects any auto immune process he may order further testing. Regarding your symptoms as you have osteoarthritis in neck it is very much likely possible that you have occipital neuralgia or C2 neuralgia. Occipital neuralgia is a neurological condition in which the occipital nerves, the nerves that run from the top of the spinal cord at the base of the neck up through the scalp are inflamed or injured. You need to see a neurologist who can clinically diagnose you and may also give you an anesthetic nerve block to see if it relieves the pain. If it works, occipital neuralgia is likely the cause of the pain. Medication like gabapentin can help with such pain. Short-term use of local nerve blocks and steroid injections can also help if none of the medications help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have seen a neurologist who said it might be swollen muscles in the head but they didn't show up on any of the scans and the anti inflammatories have not worked, I have been taking them for over 3 weeks and she has discharged me

Yes inflammation of muscles can compress the nerve leading to such shooting pain. If gabapentin is not helping than you need a nerve block injection to ease the pain. Sometimes scan of neck may not reveal such compression.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help

You're welcome. I wish you the best. Please rate my answer positively if you have no further questions. Thank you.