Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Hi,I have a daughter born in March 2000. During the birth,

I have a daughter born in MarchXXXXX Mary's Paddington. During the birth, she was distressed in the womb leading to the accumulation of Mucolium which she ingested. She had two lumps on either side of her head and had difficulty extending her limbs until she was about 3 months or over. Although we are Nigerians, she was born in London and all tests were conducted inclusive of MRI, EEG and physioteraphy were conducted at the Hammersmith hospital and she was cleared when she was like 9 months old after which we finished our studies in the UK and returned to Nigeria.

She was cross eyed from birth and have a extreme phobia of all animals especially dogs. My problem now as a parent is that she has learning difficulties and struggles to even make average grades despite extra coaching lessons both at school and at home. In addition, she seems uninspired by anything and despite our efforts as parents, will neither take any interest in a hobby or read any books for fun. We as her parents are of the opinion she is lazy but are worried that the circumstances of her birth and early years might be impeding her abilities. Please advice us what we can do as her younger sister is the opposite.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bob :

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's difficulties. Many children, whether they had a complicated birth or not, suffer from learning disabilities. Children are also se

Dr. Bob :

Children are also susceptible to depression, particularly when there is a learning disability and they struggle with school and relationships.

Dr. Bob :

If you can, try to have her tested for a learning disability. There are many different types, and they can be subtle and go undetected, even by teachers!

Dr. Bob :

In addition, have her evaluated by a psychiatrist to see if she might be depressed. This too is quite common among adolescents and the symptoms may be subtle.