healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

My daughter has been placed on Keppra for possible focal/clonic

Customer Question

My daughter has been placed on Keppra for possible focal/clonic seizure after brain hemorrhage 9 months ago. She has been on it for 3 weeks, gradually dosing to 1 pill twice a day. She is so nauseous that she cannot lift her head, eat, or function. She has a 9 month old baby, so cannot continue this way. Additionally, she is to have cranioplasty March 7. I am visiting from the US, but she could not manage on her own. Certainly, there must be other medication options.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Yes there is another medicine called Lamictal that can help her to prevent seizures and she may not feel nauseous. Moreover I would also suggest to get evaluated by her neurologist to know whether it is keppra that is making her worse or she has another bleed in her brain giving her nausea. She would need CT of her brain to evaluate further.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer:

I suggested lamictal; however, the doctor says it's not used for focal seizures, which I was sure it is (I am a nurse). There are no other signs of a bleed. She was evaluated by the neurosurgeon after the neurologist's visit and he gave her glowing reviews of her recovery. She is scheduled for an MRI and EEG in March. The NHS is slow to give appointments. They weren't even sure it was a seizure (it was unwitnessed). The nausea did not start until the medicine was started and has worsened with the increase in dose. I fear volunteering to be on the clinical study has them sticking to the meds when there are other options.

healthydoc :

Yes it is used for partial complex seizures and that is focal seizures. Another medication is Vimpat. Okay if there was no bleed and if it is evaluated than it is likely to be a side effect of Keppra.

Customer:

Thank you for your professionalism, honesty and being careful to rule out a bleed. She is going to tell the doctor she wants a new medicine. She only had one episode and it was unwitnessed, so they aren't sure it wasn't postural hypotension....it happened right after she got out of bed and she often feels dizzy if she gets up too quickly. The meds were purely precautionary for safety sake with the baby.

You're welcome. Yes if the EEG was not positive than certainly it is possible that she may have orthostatic hypotension. She can request for vimpat or lamictal to her doctor and probably she would not need after six months if she does not suffer another episode. It is better to be safe and take the medication especially when she had bleed in her brain. I wish her the best.